This article is intended for users that have a course already built out with the LTI 1.1 integration, and want to switch to 1.3 (after being installed by your LMS administrator).
Step 1: Add Perusall LTI 1.3 to your course
- In Blackboard Content Area, go to Tools > Perusall.
- In Canvas, go to Settings > Navigation, and enable Perusall 1.3.
- In D2L, go to a content area > Existing Activities > External Learning Tools, and select Perusall. (Verify that this is set to open as an external resource.)
- In Moodle, in edit mode, select Add an activity or resource > External tool. Type "Perusall" (or anything else) for the activity name and select Perusall from the Preconfigured tool dropdown.
After saving, launching this link will create a blank brand new course.
Step 2: Copy content from LTI 1.1 Perusall course into LTI 1.3 Perusall course
- In the onboarding page of the new blank Perusall course, you can copy course content in Step 3: Select Content.
- Choose copy existing course, and select the LTI 1.1 version of the Perusall course from the drop down menu. After you choose all of the content/assignments to copy, you can adjust deadline, copy instructor comments, and copy course settings. (See also Copying courses: how do I use Perusall to teach the same course again?)
By default, Perusall will send gradebook columns for each assignment to your LMS gradebook, so you do not need to create assignment-specific links in your LMS course. Instead, you and your students can navigate to your Perusall course through the basic launch link (from Step 1), and each individual grade can sync to your LMS as the students complete the assignments.
If you want to create assignment-specific links: Before you leave the Perusall course, navigate to course Settings > Scoring > LMS grade sync > LMS gradebook column management, select 'Instructor creates deep links', and Save. (For more information, see Grade sync in LTI 1.3.)
Step 3: Create new assignment links for each assignment
Here, we are returning to your LMS course to taking existing LTI 1.1 links, and relinking them to point to the right place in the LTI 1.3 integration.
- In Blackboard content area, go to Build Content > Perusall Deep link, and select the corresponding Perusall assignment.
- In Canvas, click Edit on each assignment link > Submission Type: External Tool > click Find, and select the corresponding Perusall assignment.
- In D2L content area, go to Existing Activities and scroll down to Perusall Deep link, and select the corresponding Perusall assignment.
- In Moodle, click Edit settings on each assignment > change the Preconfigure Tool to Perusall 1.3 > click select content, and select the corresponding Perusall assignment.
After relinking each assignment, launch it to test that it opens directly into the Perusall reading.
Step 4: Remove remaining 1.1 links from your course (if any)
This step mainly applies to Blackboard and D2L users. Since those platforms don't allow you to relink your existing assignment, remove the links that were created using the old integration. If the external URL for the assignment link in your LMS leads to the following URL, it can be removed: