When you use Perusall's LTI 1.3 integration, you can customize both how and when grades are synced to your LMS.
Controlling when grades are synced
In Settings > Scoring > General, you can first choose whether and how scores are synced to your LMS:
- Select Do not sync grades back to the LMS if you do not want Perusall sending any scores to your LMS at all.
- Select Manually sync individual assignment scores back to the LMS if you would like to send scores to your LMS in separate gradebook columns for each assignment in Perusall. With this option, Perusall will not send any scores to your LMS until you explicitly ask for grades to be synced for a particular assignment by selecting Gradebook > Sync to LMS at the bottom of the corresponding gradebook column.
In Settings > Scoring > LMS grade sync, you can choose your grade sync to LMS option:
- Select Automatically sync individual assignment scores back to the LMS if you would like to send scores to your LMS in separate gradebook columns for each assignment, but would like this to happen automatically. All released scores (i.e., scores visible to students within their Perusall accounts) will be synced. Most scores will sync immediately upon updating, but occasionally may take up to an hour to sync automatically; you can always force an immediate sync by selecting Gradebook > Sync to LMS at the bottom of the corresponding gradebook column.
- Select Automatically sync students' average scores back to the LMS if you would like to send a single score for each student back to your LMS. Perusall will calculate each student's average score (across all released assignments) and automatically sync this score into a gradebook column called "Perusall" in your LMS.
In any case, Perusall will never sync grades to the LMS that have not been released to students within Perusall. Release grades to students by clicking the button at the bottom of the corresponding column within the Perusall gradebook, or set an automatic grade release policy under Settings > Scoring > General > Release scores to students.
Managing the gradebook columns in your LMS grades are synced to
If you select either of the options for syncing individual assignment scores, you can then choose how the gradebook columns are managed within your LMS:
- The default option, Perusall creates gradebook columns in LMS for each Perusall assignment automatically, results in Perusall managing the process of creating a gradebook column in your LMS for each of your Perusall assignments. Perusall will automatically inform your LMS of the name of the assignment, the number of points, and the deadline (some LMSs may not utilize the latter information), and keep this information up-to-date when you create, update, or remove assignments within Perusall. If you use this option, there is no need to create individual links in your LMS for students to click on; students can enter Perusall through a generic link.
- If you prefer to create "deep links" in your LMS to individual Perusall assignments, you may prefer to select Instructor creates deep links in LMS; no Perusall gradebook columns will appear in LMS until deep links have been created. With this option selected, Perusall will not automatically create and manage gradebook columns in your LMS. Instead, Perusall will send student scores back to the gradebook columns that your LMS creates for the deep links you set up within the LMS. If you do not create a deep link pointing to a particular Perusall assignment, Perusall won't sync the scores for that assignment back to your LMS. This option may be preferable if you plan to create your own deep links because you would like these deep links organized in a particular way within your LMS.
- Normally, when creating deep links, Perusall will also bring over the assignment instructions, but this may be undesirable when the instructor or learning designer has already set up instructions in the LMS. There is a checkbox (checked by default) in the deep link content selector (Import assignment instructions into LMS) that can be unchecked to skip importing the instructions into the LMS.
- When you create a deep link in your LMS, we suggest launching it immediately, as Perusall won't be able to sync grades back to the corresponding gradebook column until at least one LMS course member (instructor or student) has clicked on the link. (That way you can also ensure that the deep link is pointing to the desired assignment in Perusall.)
- See Assignment Specific (Deep Link) Creation instructions within your LMS:
When using the first option (automatic gradebook column management), Perusall will create gradebook columns in your LMS automatically for each Perusall assignment as needed. If you accidentally delete a Perusall-created gradebook column, you can restore it by manually resyncing grades to the LMS -- click Sync grades at the bottom of the corresponding gradebook column within Perusall.