Perusall's interface can be navigated using the keyboard. Press the Tab key to move between buttons or links, and press Enter to "click" the currently highlighted button or link.
On this page, keyboard shortcuts for the Mac are listed. On Windows, press Ctrl instead of ⌘.
Navigating the text and starting conversations
Navigating the text with a keyboard requires caret mode in your browser, which is supported by the Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers. To toggle caret mode on or off, press F7.
To create highlights, enable caret mode in your browser, and then use the arrow keys to navigate the text. Hold down Shift and use the arrow keys to create a highlight, and then press Enter to start a conversation based on that highlight.
To move the focus to the main content area, press ⌘ + Shift + Z.
Perusall has a built-in read-aloud feature which can be opened using the read-aloud panel on the right navigation bar. Scroll the text to anywhere in the document and then click the start button to start reading aloud. Click the Start thread button while text is being read to start a conversation based on text you just heard.
Selecting hover options
Perusall uses hover options for editing bookmarks; to edit or delete an existing bookmark, mouse users would hover over the option and select the Edit or Delete icons. As a keyboard user, you can work with these lists by using Tab to move focus to an element of the list, and then press the E key to edit the currently-focused item or the D key to delete it.
Using keyboard shortcuts
Perusall also contains a number of keyboard shortcuts to make it faster to move around; to see a "cheat sheet" for the the keyboard shortcuts for the current page, click View keyboard shortcuts for this page on the toolbar:
The cheat sheet is context-aware and will show only those keyboard shortcuts that apply to the current context. A master list appears below:
- ? - Toggle the cheat sheet
- Esc - Close the cheat sheet when open
- O then D - Open document
- O then A - Open assignment
- O then C - Open group or one-on-one chat
- G then H - Go to Course Home
- Left arrow - Navigate to previous page/section
- Right arrow - Navigate to next page/section
- ⌘ + Shift + Y - Read next thread
- ⌘ + Shift + U - Read next unread thread
- ⌘ + Shift + C - Open current conversation panel
- ⌘ + Shift + A - Open all conversations panel
- ⌘ + Shift + S - Open starred conversations panel
- ⌘ + Shift + M - Open thumbnails panel
- ⌘ + Shift + O - Open table of contents panel
- ⌘ + F - Open search panel
- ⌘ + Shift + I - Open notifications panel
- ⌘ + Shift + K - Open bookmarks panel
- ⌘ + Shift + X - Open notes panel
- ⌘ + Shift + E - Open read-aloud panel
- ⌘ + Shift + H - Toggle focus between highlighted text and comment editor
- ⌘ + Shift + Z - Move focus to main content area
Using a screen reader
If you are using a screen reader, use the "browser mode" or "pass next key through mode" to avoid conflicts between your screen reader and Perusall's keyboard shortcuts.