- In Canvas, go to Admin > Developer Keys, and then click + Developer Key > LTI Key. The Method will be by entering the URL.
- On the left, enter the following values:
- Key Name: Perusall
- Redirect URIs: https://app.perusall.com/ltia/launch
- On the right, enter the following values:
- Method: Enter URL
- JSON URL: https://app.perusall.com/ltia/config
- Click Save.
- On the Developer Keys page, you should see a new entry for Perusall. Ensure its state is set to ON, and take note of the number that is displayed under the Details column; this is the Client ID.
- Now add Perusall as an account-wide app available to instructors. To do this, click Settings > Apps and then click + App (if not visible, click View App Configurations). Paste in the Client ID from the previous step, and click Submit and then Install.
- You should see a new entry in the app list for Perusall. Click the gear button to its right and click Deployment Id.
- Send Perusall Support your Client ID (from step 5) and your Deployment ID (from step 7). Once Perusall Support has confirmed installation, instructors may begin to use Perusall in their course.
Once your administrator has installed Perusall, it will typically appear as an option in the left navigation bar automatically; click this to launch into your Perusall course. If you do not see this option, add it by navigating to Settings > Navigation in Canvas and then dragging the Perusall option to the list of active navigation options (it may be towards the bottom of the list).
If you would like to automatically sync the average of all Perusall assignments to a single gradebook column in Canvas, launch into Perusall, select Settings > Grade sync to LMS > Automatically sync students' average scores to LMS, and then click Save changes.
If you would like to sync individual assignment scores to multiple columns in the Canvas gradebook, launch into Perusall, select Settings > Grade sync to LMS > Automatically sync students' scores to LMS, and then click Save changes.
In either case, there is no need to create individual Canvas assignments for each Perusall assignment; however, if you would like to do so, you can create Canvas assignments that are "deep links" into the corresponding Perusall assignment. Create your assignment in Perusall first; then, navigate to the assignment creation page in Canvas and select External tool for Submission Type. Click Find and then click the blue magnifying glass next to Perusall. Perusall will present you with a list of assignments you have created in your Perusall course; select one of them to match the Canvas assignment with the corresponding Perusall assignment.
Upgrading from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3
There are several benefits to upgrading to LTI 1.3. First, creating individual assignment links in your LMS is no longer necessary to sync individual assignment scores to your LMS. Students can use a generic Perusall link and individual assignment scores will still be sent to the LMS. You can still create individual assignment links, called “deep links” in LTI 1.3, which point to particular Perusall assignments even when the link and assignment do not have matching names. (Note: deep links are automatically created in Canvas as you create Perusall assignments.) Second, your LMS course roster automatically syncs to your Perusall course; instructors will be able to view the full roster in Perusall even before students ever launch into Perusall. That way, instructors can set up groups in advance of the start of the semester.
A few important notes about migrating an LTI 1.1 integration to an LTI 1.3 integration:
- Users who initially created their Perusall account through an LTI 1.1 integration will receive a one time confirmation email the first time they launch Perusall through an LTI 1.3 integration.
- Existing Perusall courses cannot be upgraded from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3; LTI 1.3 will only apply to newly-created courses. Since some LMSs do not allow for both a LTI 1.1 integration and a LTI 1.3 integration to be active simultaneously, we recommend switching over to LTI 1.3 between semesters. Previously created LTI 1.1 courses will not be deleted; instructors will still be able to access them from within their Perusall account even if they can no longer launch them from the LMS.