Upgrading from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3
There are several benefits to upgrading to LTI 1.3. First, creating individual assignment links in your LMS is no longer necessary to sync individual assignment scores to your LMS. Students can use a generic Perusall link and individual assignment scores will still be sent to the LMS. You can still create individual assignment links, called “deep links” in LTI 1.3, which point to particular Perusall assignments even when the link and assignment do not have matching names. (Note: deep links are automatically created in Canvas as you create Perusall assignments.) Second, your LMS course roster automatically syncs to your Perusall course; instructors will be able to view the full roster in Perusall even before students ever launch into Perusall. That way, instructors can set up groups in advance of the start of the semester.
A few important notes about migrating an LTI 1.1 integration to an LTI 1.3 integration:
- Users who initially created their Perusall account through an LTI 1.1 integration will receive a one time confirmation email the first time they launch Perusall through an LTI 1.3 integration.
- Existing Perusall courses cannot be upgraded from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3; LTI 1.3 will only apply to newly-created courses. Since some LMSs do not allow for both a LTI 1.1 integration and a LTI 1.3 integration to be active simultaneously, we recommend switching over to LTI 1.3 between semesters. Previously created LTI 1.1 courses will not be deleted; instructors will still be able to access them from within their Perusall account even if they can no longer launch them from the LMS.
See also: 1.3 FAQ
If you are using a Testing/Staging Instance, please remember to replace any urls starting in app.perusall with staging.perusall.
- In Canvas, go to Admin > Developer Keys, and then click + Developer Key > LTI Key. The Method will be by entering the URL.
- On the left, enter the following values:
- Key Name: Perusall 1.3
- Redirect URIs:
- On the right, enter the following values:
- Method: Enter URL
- JSON URL:
- Click Save.
- On the Developer Keys page, you should see a new entry for Perusall. Ensure it is set to ON, and take note of the number displayed under the Details column and above the "show key" button; this is the Client ID.
- Now add Perusall as an account-wide app available to instructors. To do this, click Settings > Apps and then click + App (if not visible, click View App Configurations). Click the Configuration Type dropdown and choose By Client ID. Paste in the Client ID from the previous step, and click Submit and then Install.
- You should see a new entry in the app list for Perusall. Click the gear button to its right and click Deployment Id.
- Return to Admin > Developer Keys, and edit the Perusall 1.3 developer key, navigate to Placements, and ensure the have the follow: Course Navigation, Assignment Selection, and Link Selection:
- Open Course Navigation, and label Text Perusall 1.3.
- Open Assignment Selection, and label Text Perusall 1.3.
- Open Link Selection, and:
- Add the following Target Link URI:
- Select Message Type: LtiDeepLinkingRequest
- Text: Perusall 1.3
- Then, click Save.
- Return to Admin > Developer Keys, and then click + Developer Key > API Key.
- On the left, enter the following values, and then click Save:
- Key name: Perusall API
- Redirect URIs:
- Optional: enforce scopes
- Please note: we suggest not using Enforce Scopes as it means that additional enhancements to Canvas integration that may be added in the future will require you to update your API Key configuration. The API allows us to use Canvas Group Sync as well as Pages & Files import. If you Enforce Scopes, you will need to go in and manually update the selected scopes each time we have a new update. However, if you prefer to enable the Enforce Scopes option to restrict what the API Key can access, ensure the following are checked:
- Group Categories
- On the Developer Keys page, you should see a new entry for Perusall API. Ensure its state is set to ON, and , and take note of the number that is displayed under the Details column; this is the API client ID.
- Click Show Key. The string of letters and numbers shown is the API client secret.
- Contact email@example.com, and provide:
- Institution Name
- Client ID (from step 5)
- Deployment ID* (from step 7)
- API client ID (from step 10),
- API client secret (from step 11)
Once Perusall Support has confirmed installation, instructors may begin to use Perusall in their course.
*If you are using a course level or sub account level deployment, or needing to add deployments for any reason, Perusall institutional admins from institutions with an existing LTI 1.3 integration can now add additional deployment IDs in Institution settings.
- To request institutional admin access in Perusall, for security verification purposes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and point us to an institutional web page that shows your name, email address and title/affiliation.
- Once Perusall has confirmed your request, you will see Institution settings on your Perusall home page:
- Please inform our support team if you are using one of Canvas' two testing instances (canvas.beta.instructure or canvas.test.instructure) OR if you are using a self-hosted Canvas instance (in which case, please send your Canvas domain).
- Please whitelist messages coming from @perusall.com and @mg.perusall.com to ensure users are able to receive our emails.