Upgrading from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3
There are several benefits to upgrading to LTI 1.3. First, creating individual assignment links in your LMS is no longer necessary to sync individual assignment scores to your LMS. Students can use a generic Perusall link and individual assignment scores will still be sent to the LMS. You can still create individual assignment links, called “deep links” in LTI 1.3, which point to particular Perusall assignments even when the link and assignment do not have matching names. (Note: deep links are automatically created in Canvas as you create Perusall assignments.) Second, your LMS course roster automatically syncs to your Perusall course; instructors will be able to view the full roster in Perusall even before students ever launch into Perusall. That way, instructors can set up groups in advance of the start of the semester.
A few important notes about migrating an LTI 1.1 integration to an LTI 1.3 integration:
- Users who initially created their Perusall account through an LTI 1.1 integration will receive a one time confirmation email the first time they launch Perusall through an LTI 1.3 integration.
- Existing Perusall courses cannot be upgraded from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3; LTI 1.3 will only apply to newly-created courses. Since some LMSs do not allow for both a LTI 1.1 integration and a LTI 1.3 integration to be active simultaneously, we recommend switching over to LTI 1.3 between semesters. Previously created LTI 1.1 courses will not be deleted; instructors will still be able to access them from within their Perusall account even if they can no longer launch them from the LMS.
If you are using a Testing/Staging Instance, please remember to replace any urls starting in app.perusall with staging.perusall.
- In Canvas, go to Admin > Developer Keys, and then click + Developer Key > LTI Key. The Method will be by entering the URL.
- On the left, enter the following values:
- Key Name: Perusall 1.3
- Redirect URIs:
- On the right, enter the following values:
- Method: Enter URL
- JSON URL:
- Click Save.
- On the Developer Keys page, you should see a new entry for Perusall. Ensure it is set to ON, and take note of the number displayed under the Details column and above the "show key" button; this is the Client ID.
- Now add Perusall as an account-wide app available to instructors. To do this, click Settings > Apps and then click + App (if not visible, click View App Configurations). Click the Configuration Type dropdown and choose By Client ID. Paste in the Client ID from the previous step, and click Submit and then Install.
- You should see a new entry in the app list for Perusall. Click the gear button to its right and click Deployment Id.
- Return to Admin > Developer Keys, and then click + Developer Key > API Key.
- On the left, enter the following values, and then click Save:
- Key name: Perusall API
- Redirect URIs: https://app.perusall.com/ltia/oauth/response
- We suggest not using Enforce Scopes as it means that additional enhancements to Canvas integration that may be added in the future will require you to update your API Key configuration. However, if you prefer to enable the Enforce Scopes option to restrict what the API Key can access, ensure the following are checked:
- On the Developer Keys page, you should see a new entry for Perusall API. Ensure its state is set to ON, and , and take note of the number that is displayed under the Details column; this is the API client ID.
- Click Show Key. The string of letters and numbers shown is the API client secret.
- Send Perusall email@example.com your
- Client ID (from step 5)
- Deployment ID (from step 7)
- API client ID (from step 10),
- API client secret (from step 11)
Once Perusall Support has confirmed installation, instructors may begin to use Perusall in their course.
Please inform our support team if you are using one of Canvas' two testing instances (canvas.beta.instructure or canvas.test.instructure)
Once your administrator has installed Perusall, it will typically appear as an option in the left navigation bar automatically; click this to launch into your Perusall course. If you do not see this option, add it by navigating to Settings > Navigation in Canvas and then dragging the Perusall option to the list of active navigation options (it may be towards the bottom of the list).
If you would like to automatically sync the average of all Perusall assignments to a single gradebook column in Canvas, launch into Perusall, select Settings > Scoring > Grade sync to LMS > Automatically sync students' average scores to LMS, and then click Save changes.
If you would like to sync individual assignment scores to multiple columns in the Canvas gradebook, launch into Perusall, select Settings > Scoring > Grade sync to LMS > Automatically sync students' scores to LMS, and then click Save changes.
Assignment-Specific (Deep links) Creation
In either case, there is no need to create individual Canvas assignments for each Perusall assignment; however, if you would like to do so, you can create Canvas assignments that are "deep links (assignment-specific links)" into the corresponding Perusall assignment.
- Navigate to Settings > Scoring > Grade Sync to LMS > LMS gradebook column management, set to Instructor creates deep links in LMS; no Perusall gradebook columns will appear in LMS until deep links have been created > Click Save Changes.
- Create your assignment in Perusall first
- Navigate to the assignment creation page in Canvas and select External tool for Submission Type.
- Click Find and then click the blue magnifying glass next to Perusall.
- Perusall will present you with a list of assignments you have created in your Perusall course; select one of them to match the Canvas assignment with the corresponding Perusall assignment.