This article covers:
This page includes instructions for Blackboard Ultra. Click here if you are looking for instructions for Blackboard Learn.
For teachers to add Perusall to their Blackboard Ultra courses, the IT Admin must first allow Perusall's placement in courses. Click here to jump ahead to Teacher Specific Instructions.
Step 1: Get the institutions Key & Secret
To connect Perusall to Blackboard Ultra, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your institution’s Consumer Key & Shared Secret. Please email in from your official university email address, make the subject line “Key and Secret Request”, and please provide a link to an institutional web page that shows your name, email address, and title/affiliation.
Step 2 : For IT Admin
1. Global Properties Settings
- In Ultra, go to System Admin > LTI Tool Providers > Manage Global Properties
- Select any of the 3 options for "Creation of Tool Provider Links" > select Allow configured tool providers to post grades
- Scroll to Default Configuration. Select send user data only over ssl > Select all boxes for User Fields to Send > select yes for allow membership service access > press submit
2. Adding Perusall as a Tool Provider
- In Blackboard, click: System Admin > LTI Tool Providers > Register LTI 1.1 Provider
- Enter app.perusall.com in the provider domain field
- Choose Approved in the Provider Domain Status field
- Choose Set globally in the Default Configuration field
- Enter your institution’s Consumer Key in the Tool Provider Key field
- Enter your institution’s Shared Secret in the Tool Provider Secret field
- Choose Send user data only over SSL in the Send User Data field
- Check Role in Course, Name and Email Address in the User Fields to Send field
- Check Yes in the Allow Membership Service Access field
- Click Submit
3. Create a Placement
- In Blackboard, click: System Admin > LTI Tool Providers > dropdown menu next to app.perusall.com > Manage Placements > Create Placement
- Enter Perusall in the Label field
- Enter a Handle
- Choose Yes in the Availability field
- Choose Course content tool and check Allows grading in the Type field
- Enter https://app.perusall.com/lti/launch in the Tool Provider URL field
- Click Submit
Step 2 : FOR TEACHERS- Add Perusall to Your Course
- Enter your Blackboard course and click Content> click create
- Choose Teaching Tools with LTI Connection
3. Enter Perusall (or anything) in the Name field > the configuration URL is https://app.perusall.com/lti/launch make the link visible to students>
4. Check off:
- Open new window
- Allow class conversations
- Create gradebook entry for this item -remove any due dates and enter 3 in the Points Possible field (once you enter Perusall and adjust your assignment score range under settings>advanced, THEN you can change this field from 3 to whatever it is in Perusall) and Press Save
Click the link you just created to launch Perusall and create a Blackboard-linked Perusall course. Students can also click this link to launch into your Perusall course.
Perusall to Blackboard Grade Sync
You can sync students' average assignment scores OR students’ individual assignment scores back to Canvas.
Average grade sync
A student’s average score is each individual assignment score summed and then divided by the total number of assignments.
Syncing the average score rather than individual assignment scores saves time because an instructor will only need to create one Perusall link in a Blackboard content area rather than an assignment link for each assignment. Students will access Perusall through this link.
Step 1: (adjust your Perusall course settings)
- Launch into your Perusall course> Click Settings > General> scroll to Grade sync to LMS > select Automatically sync students' average scores back to the LMS> press save changes
Students will click the Perusall Link in BB to access their Perusall assignments and Perusall will pass their average scores back to BB as assignment scores are released.
Individual assignment grade sync
To sync students’ individual assignment scores, you will create assignment links in Blackboard for every assignment in Perusall
Step 1: (adjust your Perusall course settings)
In Perusall, set the Grade sync to LMS field (Settings > General) to Automatically sync students' individual assignment scores back to the LMS
In Perusall, click: Course home > Assignments > select an assignment > Copy full title for LMS. The assignment name will be copied to the clipboard
Go to a content area in BB>click create>select Teaching Tools with LTI Connection
Paste the assignment’s title into the Assignment name field.
The Configuration URL is https://app.perusall.com/lti/launch make the link visible to students
Open New Window
Allow Class Conversations
Create Gradebook Entry For This Item -remove any due dates and enter 3 in the Points Possible field (once you enter Perusall and adjust your assignment score range under settings>advanced, THEN you can change this field from 3 to whatever it is in Perusall) and Press Save
Launch the link and it should take you directly into that assignment reading page.
Repeat this process for each Perusall assignment. Hide the generic Perusall link from the students’ view in Blackboard (so students only use the assignment-specific links, thereby ensuring grade sync works correctly) by clicking Content > the dropdown menu next to your generic Perusall link > Edit > Make unavailable.
Note: In order to successfully sync individual assignment scores, students must access each Perusall assignment by clicking its assignment-specific link in Blackboard. If a student does not, then Perusall will not be able to send the student's scores back to Blackboard.
If you use a Learning Module, Blackboard will attempt to open Perusall within an iframe. However, as a security measure, Perusall prevents itself from being "framed" within another app, so if you try to launch Perusall from a Learning Module you will get a message indicating that the browser couldn't launch Perusall. To fix this, we suggest avoiding the use of Learning Modules; instead, use folders to organize your Perusall links in the Blackboard course.
Links on the left-hand navigation pane in Blackboard won't work with Perusall as they cannot point to tool providers. Instead, click Content > Perusall (from the Build Content dropdown menu) to create a Perusall link in the main content area of Blackboard.
On July 28, 2017, Blackboard issued an advisory that some LTI tools may not work correctly in Safari. If your institution uses an older version of Blackboard (prior to the Q2 2018 release), we suggest avoiding use of Safari when accessing Perusall through Blackboard.
See our general LMS troubleshooting page for other common issues.