Upgrading from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3
There are several benefits to upgrading to LTI 1.3. First, creating individual assignment links in your LMS is no longer necessary to sync individual assignment scores to your LMS. Students can use a generic Perusall link and individual assignment scores will still be sent to the LMS. You can still create individual assignment links, called “deep links” in LTI 1.3, which point to particular Perusall assignments even when the link and assignment do not have matching names. (Note: deep links are automatically created in Moodle as you create Perusall assignments.) Second, your LMS course roster automatically syncs to your Perusall course; instructors will be able to view the full roster in Perusall even before students ever launch into Perusall. That way, instructors can set up groups in advance of the start of the semester.
A few important notes about migrating an LTI 1.1 integration to an LTI 1.3 integration:
- Users who initially created their Perusall account through an LTI 1.1 integration will receive a one time confirmation email the first time they launch Perusall through an LTI 1.3 integration.
- Existing Perusall courses cannot be upgraded from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3; LTI 1.3 will only apply to newly-created courses. Since some LMSs do not allow for both a LTI 1.1 integration and a LTI 1.3 integration to be active simultaneously, we recommend switching over to LTI 1.3 between semesters. Previously created LTI 1.1 courses will not be deleted; instructors will still be able to access them from within their Perusall account even if they can no longer launch them from the LMS.
Note: If you are using a Testing/Staging Instance, please remember to replace any urls starting in app.perusall with staging.perusall.
To set up Perusall as a tool in your Moodle instance, navigate to Site Administration >Plug Ins> External Tool > Manage Tools, and then select the option to configure the tool manually.
Fill out the fields as shown below, and then click Save changes.
- Tool name: Perusall
- Tool URL: https://app.perusall.com/ltia/launch
- Tool description: The Perusall social learning platform
- LTI version: LTI 1.3
- Public key type: Keyset URL
- Public keyset: https://app.perusall.com/ltia/jwks
- Initiate login URL: https://app.perusall.com/ltia/oidc
- Redirection URI(s): https://app.perusall.com/ltia/launch
- Tool configuration usage: Show as preconfigured tool when adding an external tool
- Default launch container: New window
- Supports Deep Linking: checked
- Icon URL and Secure icon URL (under "Show more"): https://perusall.com/favicon.ico
- IMS LTI Assignment and Grade Services: Use this service for grade sync and column management
- IMS LTI Names and Role Provisioning: Use this service to retrieve members' information as per privacy settings
- Tool Settings: Use this service
- Share launcher's name with tool: Always
- Share launcher's email with tool: Always
- Accept grades from the tool: Always
- Force SSL: checked
After you save the tool, click the list icon (to the left of the gear icon) under the tool on the Manage Tools page:
Click the square icon on the left of the gear icon and copy and paste the information that appears there and send it to Perusall Support. Once Perusall Support has activated in the integration, your instructors can add Perusall to a course. For secure delivery, we recommend sending this information using https://privnote.com.
To set up your course, enter edit mode for your course, and select Add an activity or resource. Select External tool in the resulting dialog box. On the configuration page that results, enter "Perusall" (or anything else) for the activity name and select Perusall from the Preconfigured tool dropdown. Click Save and display to launch Perusall and create your Moodle-linked Perusall course.
Perusall will automatically sync your Perusall course roster with the Moodle roster.
If you would like to automatically sync the average of all Perusall assignments to a single gradebook column in Moodle, launch into Perusall, select Settings > Grade sync to LMS > Automatically sync students' average scores to LMS, and then click Save changes.
If you would like to sync individual assignment scores to multiple columns in the Moodle gradebook, launch into Perusall, select Settings > Grade sync to LMS > Automatically sync students' scores to LMS, and then click Save changes.
In either case, there is no need to create individual links to each Perusall assignment; however, if you would like to do so, you can create "deep links" into the corresponding Perusall assignment. To do this, follow the process in the Adding Perusall to your Moodle course section above, but before clicking Save and display, click the Select content button. A window will pop up that will allow you to select a Perusall assignment to link. Note that you must first create the assignment in Perusall before you can link to it in this way.