Upgrading from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3
There are several benefits to upgrading to LTI 1.3. First, creating individual assignment links in your LMS is no longer necessary to sync individual assignment scores to your LMS. Students can use a generic Perusall link and individual assignment scores will still be sent to the LMS. You can still create individual assignment links, called “deep links” in LTI 1.3, which point to particular Perusall assignments even when the link and assignment do not have matching names. (Note: deep links are automatically created in Moodle as you create Perusall assignments.) Second, your LMS course roster automatically syncs to your Perusall course; instructors will be able to view the full roster in Perusall even before students ever launch into Perusall. That way, instructors can set up groups in advance of the start of the semester.
A few important notes about migrating an LTI 1.1 integration to an LTI 1.3 integration:
- Users who initially created their Perusall account through an LTI 1.1 integration will receive a one time confirmation email the first time they launch Perusall through an LTI 1.3 integration.
- Existing Perusall courses cannot be upgraded from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3; LTI 1.3 will only apply to newly-created courses. Since some LMSs do not allow for both a LTI 1.1 integration and a LTI 1.3 integration to be active simultaneously, we recommend switching over to LTI 1.3 between semesters. Previously created LTI 1.1 courses will not be deleted; instructors will still be able to access them from within their Perusall account even if they can no longer launch them from the LMS.
See also: 1.3 FAQ
Note: If you are using a Testing/Staging Instance, please remember to replace any urls starting in app.perusall with staging.perusall.
To set up Perusall as a tool in your Moodle instance, navigate to Site Administration >Plug Ins> External Tool > Manage Tools, and then select the option to configure the tool manually.
Fill out the fields as shown below, and then click Save changes.
- Tool name: Perusall 1.3
- Tool URL:
- Tool description: The Perusall social learning platform
- LTI version: LTI 1.3
- Public key type: Keyset URL
- Public keyset:
- Initiate login URL:
- Redirection URI(s):
- Tool configuration usage: Show as preconfigured tool when adding an external tool
- Default launch container: New window
- Supports Deep Linking: checked
- Icon URL and Secure icon URL (under "Show more"):
- IMS LTI Assignment and Grade Services: Use this service for grade sync and column management
- IMS LTI Names and Role Provisioning: Use this service to retrieve members' information as per privacy settings
- Tool Settings: Use this service
- Share launcher's name with tool: Always
- Share launcher's email with tool: Always
- Accept grades from the tool: Always
- Force SSL: checked
After you save the tool, click the list icon (to the left of the gear icon) under the tool on the Manage Tools page:
Click the square icon on the left of the list icon and copy and paste the information that appears there and send it, along with your institution name, to Perusall Support.
Once Perusall Support has activated in the integration, your instructors can add Perusall to a course.