By default, each assignment you create in Perusall is assigned to all students. In other words, it will be visible to each student and each participating student will receive a grade for the assignment in the gradebook.
If you have an assignment that should only be visible to certain students, assign it to only those students when creating the assignment:
When you assign an assignment only to specific students, only those students will see the assignment in the Assignments tab on their course home page. If you want to keep the assignment assigned to all students but change the deadline for certain students, use the extend deadline feature instead.
If you create different assignments that are assigned to different students, you can direct Perusall to put the grades for these assignments into a single gradebook column. To do this, ensure that each assignment has the same name and the same deadline. When doing this, ensure that each student only has one assignment in the set assigned to them; if you have a student with multiple assignments of the same name assigned to them, only one of the grades will show up in the corresponding gradebook column.
You may also want to differentiate your instruction by giving each student an assignment, but have different students reading different documents. To do this:
- On the course home page, click Library.
- Add a folder to contain the documents you will assign: click Add > Folder.
- Open the folder by clicking the + next to the folder, and then drag and drop the appropriate documents into that folder.
- Now click on the Assignments tab at the top of the course home page, click the dropdown arrow next to Add assignment, and select Add differentiated assignment.
- Under the Content tab, select the folder you created from the list, and then indicate which document will be assigned to each student.
- Under the Options tab, give the assignment a name, and click Save Changes.
When you create differentiated assignments in this way (i.e., all with the same name and deadline), all of the grades for these assignments will show up under a single gradebook column, even though students will be reading different documents to complete their assigned work.
LTI 1.3 integration
If you’re using differentiated assignments, we recommend Instructor creates deep links mode in your Perusall course under Settings > Scoring > LMS grade sync > LMS gradebook column management.
- In Perusall, keep all assignments created from the differentiated assignment named the same.
- Then, go to your LMS course, create an assignment-specific (deep link) (instructions in your specific LMS instructor set up page), and select any of the duplicate titled assignments.
- When students click on the deep link, they’ll be directed to their appropriate assignment, and the scores should sync to one gradebook column in your LMS.