If your institution has an active subscription to Turnitin, a university administrator can integrate it with Perusall. This will allow Turnitin to automatically check all submitted student comments for originality.
To set up, an institutional representative (e.g., LMS administrator) should follow the steps below:
- For security verification purposes, please email email@example.com and point us to an institutional web page that shows your name, email address and title/affiliation.
- Once Perusall has confirmed your request, you will see Institution dashboard on your Perusall home page:
- Click on the Institution dashboard button and then select Settings on the left. Then select Turnitin integration:
- To integrate Turnitin with Perusall, you will need to generate a Turnitin API key.
- Turnitin URL is your institution’s unique Turnitin URL. This takes the format of https://[YourInstitution].turnitin.com. For example. https://universityofturnitin.turnitin.com
- Turnitin API Key is the unique API key generated by Turnitin when configuring the integration in Turnitin (see here for Turnitin's guide for creating and managing API keys).
- Next, click the dropdown for Indexing Options. This setting determines whether submitted assignments (i.e., the contents of comments student submit) will be available to be matched against in future Similarity Reports by instructors at your institution.
- Lastly, decide whether to enable Source Text Visibility and Institution Match Detail Visibility settings:
- The Source Text Visibility setting allows instructors with matching sources within the same institution to view the full text of the original submission.
- The Institution Match Detail Visibility setting allows instructors of matching sources within the same institution to view basic details about the original submission and the person who submitted the file. This includes class details, their name, and submission dates.
Once these settings are saved, Instructors can enable TurnItIn in their Perusall course by clicking Settings > Integrity, and checking Use Turnitin to check student submissions for originality.
Perusall does not limit the number of users that can have administrative roles for their institution. The settings are the same for each administrator, and any adjustments made to the schools settings will be applied globally.