January 6, 2022
- You can now search the course content library instantly via a new search box at the top of the Library tab.
December 31, 2021
- You can now remove a one-on-one conversation from the left course navigation panel by hovering over the conversation and clicking X.
- Instructors can now upload documents to a course directly from mobile devices that support file storage via Add content > Documents from my device.
December 8, 2021
- Instructors are now informed in the notification email which student flagged a comment.
- Instructors can see the deadline for each assignment underneath the corresponding column in the Gradebook.
November 30, 2021
- In the gradebook, when viewing the scoring breakdown for a student (click on the score to view), instructors can now click Review comments to quickly see at all comments for the student on that assignment.
November 23, 2021
- A new scoring settings page contains a colorful graphical display to show how the various components are weighted and how the instructor's settings can allow multiple avenues for students to earn full credit.
- You can now filter the comments you see in a particular document to only show highlights corresponding to a particular instructor.
- Instructors can now sort the gradebook by first or last names separately.
November 16, 2021
- You can now have the text of a comment read aloud, in addition to Perusall's normal read-aloud functionality that reads the assigned text aloud.
- Instructors can now prevent students from flagging a particular post as inappropriate. (To do this, select Show comment scores from the main filter dropdown menu in a document, and then click the score dropdown underneath any comment.)
- You can now create text highlights by using the browser's caret mode, which provides more flexibility and accessibility for users that use a keyboard.
October 26, 2021
- Students can now see which other students are in their discussion group for a particular document by clicking a new Members of my group button in the right toolbar.
September 10, 2021
- You can now customize the color of your avatar by clicking your name/avatar in the upper right corner of the page and selecting Edit profile.
August 9, 2021
- Instructors can now leave a course without deleting it, under Settings > Access.
July 20, 2021
- When uploading a PDF, Perusall will now attempt to automatically rotate pages as needed so that all pages are upright (if you enable this in your course under Settings > Advanced), and will apply OCR (optical character recognition) where possible so that PDFs scanned from paper documents have machine-readable text. This will improve accessibility, enable Perusall's read-aloud feature, and enable selection of text for creating comments.
- A new emoji picker is now available when composing comments, including emoji with user-selectable skin tones.
- You can now search the list of comments shown in the All conversations tab within a document, video, or podcast.
- As a shortcut, you can now double-click a document or assignment to open it from the Library or Assignments tab, respectively.
- You can now download poll results as a spreadsheet.
July 7, 2021
- You can now add a poll to a comment. To do this, click the new button in the toolbar of the comment editor and enter the choices the respondents should select from. Any student (or instructor) that is viewing the comment will be able to respond to the poll and see the aggregated results.
- Instructors can now import PowerPoint files directly to the Library.
- You can now optionally add your gender pronouns to your Perusall account, to appear anywhere your name is shown. To do this, click your name in the upper-right corner and select Edit profile.
- If your account is connected to your institution's LMS and your name in the LMS is different from the name that you would like to be displayed in Perusall, you can optionally specify that a different name be shown in Perusall using Edit profile.
June 28, 2021
- After requesting a book from the Perusall catalog, a new Pending book requests tab in the Library lets the instructor track the status of book requests that are in progress, and cancel any unwanted requests.
- Images can now be uploaded to the Library in JPEG, GIF, or PNG format as a new document type, for analyzing art, musical scores, or other image-based content.
- Students will now see their cumulative average assignment score in My Scores.
- There is a new grade sync option for LMS-connected courses in Settings > General; you can now optionally create a single link in your LMS and sync students' average Perusall assignment scores back to your LMS rather than creating individual assignment links in your LMS and syncing back each score separately.
- Students' group numbers are now shown in the Gradebook.
- Instructors can now download students' activity data across the entire semester under the Students tab on the course home page.
- Instructors can now automatically reshuffle groups to match current choices when changing the automatic grouping parameters (e.g., group size) for a course.
June 1, 2021
- Instructors can now extend a student's deadlines for all assignments all at once, when a student joins the course late or otherwise needs to be given permission to catch up. Navigate to the Students tab and select Extend deadlines for a particular student.
May 26, 2021
- The "All comments" dialog now shows the group number associated with each comment.
May 25, 2021
- A new "What's new" link in the navigation bar will take you to this page, and will be flagged with a red dot whenever new features are available that you haven't read about yet.
May 19, 2021
- Instructors can now use @everyone in a comment to notifying everyone in the course that the thread is visible to (i.e., all instructors, as well as students in the same group as the originator of the thread).
- You can now use @conversation to notify everyone who has participated in a thread (by posting or upvoting).
- Assignment averages now appear in the bottom row of the Gradebook.
- Instructors can now set a new option in Settings > Advanced to incorporate score on in-progress into students' average scores in the Gradebook.
May 17, 2021
- You can now start a one-on-one chat with another student or instructor who is currently online by clicking their avatar (photo or initials) in the upper left corner of a document.
April 27, 2021
- Instructors can now search for podcasts to add to a course from the Podcast Index directory, by title or description.
April 22, 2021
- Instructors can now create multimodal assignments that will open and will be scored as a single assignment, even including content of different types (e.g., a book chapter and a video).
- Instructors can now create student upload folders where students can upload content to directly.
- Instructors can now add descriptions to folders that will appear for students.
- Old assignments can now be hidden on the course home page, so that upcoming assignments are more visible.
April 1, 2021
- The filter dropdown at the top of a document or video now has an additional option to show only comments where you were @mentioned.
- Instructors can now optionally hide grade calculation details through a new setting in Settings > Advanced.
March 25, 2021
- While watching a video or listening to a podcast, Perusall will now suggest unseen conversations to you by showing you the first comment in the thread as you pass the corresponding place in the video/audio timeline.
- Numbers can now be used in hashtags.
March 17, 2021
- You can now highlight a word in any document and click the information icon in the toolbar to look it up in the dictionary.
- Instructors can now download a list of which students have been assigned to each group for a document.
- Instructors can now set relative quality point values to all be the same to ignore annotation quality for scoring purposes.
March 1, 2021
- Instructors can now disable "nudges" in their courses through a new setting in Settings > Advanced.
February 9, 2021
- Perusall now prevents files with the same name from being uploaded to the same course, to avoid inadvertent duplicates of documents in a course.
- Instructors can now download all comments across the entire course.
- Instructors can now duplicate an assignment using a new Duplicate button on the assignment details panel.
February 4, 2021
- The filter dropdown at the top of a document or video now has an additional option to show only comments posted by other course members.
January 8, 2021
- Instructors can now drag and drop assignments within a deadline group to rearrange them, so that assignments can appear in any order.
- Manual groups can now be imported from a spreadsheet, to save time when defining manual groups for large courses.
- Instructors can now "fine-tune" automatically-assigned groups by dragging and dropping students between groups in the Library > Groups dialog.
- Assignment reminders and scoring parameters can now be specified on a per-assignment basis.
- Typing in a URL to a comment box now automatically makes it a link.
- Instructors that wish to completely disable Perusall's scoring and remove the Gradebook can do so through a new "never" option under Settings > General > Release scores.