Many Learning Management Systems offer a parent/child course template, where one course acts as a "parent" course (sometimes called a "shell" course or a "master" course), and then updates can be sent to the "child" courses of the parent. Since Perusall doesn't have access to the relationships between courses in your LMS, Perusall sees each child course as a separate unrelated course. This page describes how to utilize Perusall with such courses to make it easy to share materials in Perusall between the child courses.
- Install/enable Perusall in your parent LMS course, and then launch Perusall from that course to make a new blank Perusall course for the parent.
- Navigate to Settings > Access, and take note of your Copy code.
- Build Perusall links within your Master LMS course. (See LTI 1.1 Integration or LTI 1.3 Integration for link setup instructions.)
- When ready, push your LMS course content from your parent LMS course into the child LMS courses.
- Install/enable Perusall in the child course, and launch Perusall from the child course to create a new blank Perusall course for the child.
- From within the Perusall child course, navigate to Library > Add Content > Materials from Another course
- Within the pop-up, select Another instructor's course, using a copy code.
- Insert the Master copy code, and select the Content/Assignments to copy.
- You can adjust assignment deadlines there, or you can manage all dates later by clicking Edit Deadline on your Perusall course homepage.
- If there are any instructor comments to copy from the master course, they also can be copied there. (No student data/work is copied between courses.)
- Enable Copy Course Settings.
- Click OK.
This will copy all of your content and assignments into the child Perusall course. You can test that Perusall links in the child LMS course are working by clicking on them and verifying that they take you into the proper assignment in the child Perusall course.