Questions answered below:
- Why should I upgrade to LTI 1.3?
- How can I upgrade to 1.3?
- Can I upgrade my current 1.1 course?
- Can my LMS host both integrations at the same time?
- Why do I keep seeing a "merge accounts" message?
- My institution upgraded, but my class is already live. How do I switch?
- What happens to the LTI 1.1 Course Content and student work?
- My course has already started. Can I forego the upgrade and wait for 1.3 until my next class starts?
- Why am I seeing duplicate grade book columns?
- How do I fix specific students' scores with grade sync issues?
Why should I upgrade to LTI 1.3?
- Our new integration offers many new benefits (see below):
- Roster Sync
- Upon the first time an instructor launches their Perusall course, their entire LMS course roster is available under the Students tab within their Perusall course and is updated each time the instructor launches Perusall.
- Improved Grade Sync
- Instructors no longer need to build assignment-specific links with case-sensitive titles in order to sync grades. In fact, students just need to click at least one Perusall link in your LMS course (at least once), and we will be able to sync all of their grades from the course. See: Grade sync in LTI 1.3.
- Improved Group Sync Options
- Group sync, previously only available for Canvas 1.1 integration, is now available for Canvas, Blackboard & Desire2Learn 1.3 integrations. Instructors can now choose which group set to send to Perusall.
- Roster Sync
- We also have a comparison chart available. See: What's the difference between 1.1 & 1.3?
How can I upgrade to 1.3?
- A system administrator is required to do the installation, and we ask that this be installed globally. As an instructor, all you would need to do is enable it into your course. If that's not possible right now, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and request the key & secret for your institution (LMS Integration 1.1).
Can I upgrade my current 1.1 course?
- An LTI 1.1 integrated course cannot be upgraded to an LTI 1.3 integrated course, however, your LTI 1.1 course content (excluding all student data/work) can be copied to a 1.3 course. For a step-by-step guide, see How do I transition my Perusall course from an LTI 1.1 integration to LTI 1.3?
Can my LMS host both integrations at the same time?
- Canvas & Moodle will allow you to have both LTI 1.1 & LTI 1.3 active at the same time. Please be sure to label them to reduce confusion.
- Desire2Learn & Blackboard do not allow you to have both integrations active at the same time. When you install LTI 1.3, the LTI 1.1 integration links will no longer work. (We suggest waiting for a break in active sessions to install LTI 1.3 in situations such as this.)
Why do I keep seeing a "merge accounts" message?
- This usually happens when you have both integrations installed in your course with active links in to each. Perusall sees your LTI 1.1 integration as a separate LMS from your LTI 1.3 integration, so when you click a link to a different LTI integration, we confirm with you by email that you want to add on another LTI integration to your Perusall account.
- To solve this, we suggest removing all of the LTI 1.1 assignment links from your LMS course (links leading to https://app.perusall.com/lti/launch).
My institution upgraded, but my class is already live. How do I switch?
- We suggest that you stop using your 1.1 course, and create a new 1.3 course. To do this:
- Let your students finish the most recent Perusall assignment in the LTI 1.1 version of your course.
- Then, go to your Perusall course Settings > Access > Students, enable Block Student access to this course, and Save Changes. Also navigate to Settings > General, and add "DO NOT USE" to the beginning of your course title.
- This will stop students from being able to access the wrong course. You can disable the access block later.
- Follow the Step-by-Step Transition Guide: How do I transition my Perusall course from an LTI 1.1 integration to LTI 1.3?
- Click My Courses, and return to the LTI 1.1 version of your course, delete all upcoming assignments so that students are not confused with duplicate assignments.
- After this point, it is safe to return to Settings > Access > Students, disable Block Student access to this course, and Save Changes to allow students to access the LTI 1.1 course to review their previous work. Students can see this course listed under My Courses.
What happens to the LTI 1.1 Course Content and student work?
- We are not able to transfer student work from one course to another, but you and your students can still see previous coursework by logging in to Perusall.com directly, and accessing the previous course from their list of courses, or by clicking My Courses from within another Perusall course.
My course has already started. Can I forego the upgrade and wait for 1.3 until my next class starts?
- If your course has already started, and your students have courses using both integrations, the easiest route is to have your students access your LTI 1.1 course by logging directly into Perusall.com with their LMS email.
- Grade sync will not be available.
- In general, we recommend that all courses move to 1.3 at once to eliminate grade sync and avoid course access issues, but if your students are not also using Perusall in an LTI 1.3 course, you can use the course built with LTI 1.1 for the semester.
Why am I seeing duplicate grade book columns?
- Our LTI 1.3 integration has the ability to automatically create grade items in your LMS grade book for you, however, if you're using assignment-specific links (deep links), you'll want to turn off the feature. To remove the duplicates, go to your Perusall course Settings > Scoring > LMS grade sync > LMS gradebook column management, and choose "Instructor creates deep links..." Then, enable the pop-up "Also delete existing columns..." and click Save Changes.
- Now, head to your LMS setup page for Assignment Specific (Deep link) Creation instructions.
When you launch the Deep-links from the LMS, the grade columns will appear in your LMS grade book, and the scores will repopulate.
- No student work will be deleted in this process as it is all retained in the Perusall course.
How do I fix specific students' scores with grade sync issues?
- Students need to launch your LTI 1.3 integration from the LMS at least once. If your grade book is reporting any errors, contact Support directly through Get Help > Contact Perusall Support or by emailing email@example.com.